grab offtransitive verb
Definition of grab off
1 : to take or appropriate forcefully or with haste or forthrightness dash in and grab off choice pieces of land— F. P. Gipson two Swiss mountaineers … had grabbed off the honors for the first ascent — Time
2 : to choose for a partner (as in marriage) why is it that such a beauty … has not long ago been grabbed off— Walter O'Meara
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game