Definition of governmental atonement
: the Grotian theory of atonement that Christ's death enables God as moral governor of the world to forgive sinners freely without encouraging disorder by signally revealing that suffering often of the innocent inevitably follows when sinners violate the divine world order
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?