gov·er·nante | \ ˈgəvə(r)nənt\
variants: or gouvernante \ ˈgüv- , ¦güv- \
Definition of governante
2 archaic : the mistress of a household : housekeeper
3 obsolete : governess sense 1 the government devolved upon the princess, as governante during her son's minority— Tobias Smollett
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?