Definition of gotta
—used for "got to" in informal speech and in representations of such speech You've gotta be [=you must be] kidding me.I gotta go. [=I have to go, I have got to go]If you're going to invite me to a dance, you've gotta let me dance.— Quentin TarantinoFish gotta swim. Birds gotta fly. And opera stars gotta do crossover songs.— Steve Kort
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game