Definition of goldsmith beetle
: any of several large bright yellow scarabaeid beetles with adults that feed on foliage and larvae that live in the soil and feed on roots: such as
a : a widely distributed European beetle (Cetonia aurata)
b : a North American beetle (Cotalpa lanigera) that is sometimes a locally important defoliator of deciduous trees
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game