Definition of goldflower
1 : any of several yellow-flowered or predominantly yellow-flowered composite plants: such as
a : either of two European everlastings (Helichrysum stoechas and H. orientale)
b : any of various bristly leaved annual herbs of southern Africa that constitute the genus Gorteria and have solitary or corymbose flower heads with ligulate orange-yellow ray flowers marked with brown
c : a biennial herb (Hymenoxys biennis) of dry uplands of the southwestern U.S. that has yellow flower heads with fertile ray flowers
2 : a shrubby hybrid St.-John's-wort (Hypericum × moserianum) with large golden yellow flowers
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game