Definition of gochujang
: a spicy paste used in Korean cuisine that is made from red chili peppers, glutinous rice, and fermented soybeans With Ms. Kim's encouragement, I made a version of her Korean bouillabaisse by sautéing kimchi with gochujang, soy sauce and fish sauce, then adding stock and a mix of shrimp, scallops and mussels. The gochujang added flavor and served as a thickener.— Jane Black Korean supermarkets, like H Mart in Manhattan, carry not only all manner of foods—like gochujang, three-layered pork belly, and Korean snacks—but also a range of practical (affordable) kitchen and home goods.— Lauren Ro
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game