go/swim with/against the tideidiom
Definition of go/swim with/against the tide
: to think or behave in a way that agrees/disagrees with how most other people think or behave. Politically, she tends to go against the tide on her college campus.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game