go over someone's headidiom
Definition of go over someone's head
: to discuss something with a person who is higher in rank than someone else : to bypass a person of immediately higher rank and seek out a person of even higher rank He went over his supervisor's head to complain to the company's president about the policy.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?