go off withidiom
Definition of go off with
1 chiefly British : to leave (a spouse, partner, etc.) in order to live with and have a sexual relationship with (someone) He left his wife and went off with some young thing.
2 : to take away (something that belongs to someone else) : to steal Someone went off with my wallet.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game