go beforephrasal verb
went before; gone before; going before; goes before
Definition of go before
1 : to happen or exist at an earlier time than (someone) We owe a great debt of gratitude to those who went before us.
2 : to be considered by (someone or something) for an official decision or judgment The contestants will go before the judges tomorrow. The case went before the court.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?