gnash one's teethidiom
Definition of gnash one's teeth
1 : to grind one's teeth together He gnashed his teeth in his sleep.
2 : to show one is angry, upset, etc. His opponents have been gnashing their teeth in/with frustration since he won the election. His election has caused some weeping and gnashing of teeth among his opponents.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game