Definition of glory hole
1a : a furnace for softening glass when it becomes stiff in offhand working and for fire-polishing glass
b : an opening directly into the interior of such a furnace specifically : bottoming hole
2 : a receptacle (as a box or cupboard) or area into which odds and ends are put haphazardly and in no particular order
3a : lazaretto sense 3
b : the quarters of stewards or stokers on board a ship
4 : an opencut or funnel-shaped excavation formed by drawing off soft or broken ore through an underground passage
— called also mill hole
5 : a hole made through a wall or partition to enable people to perform sex acts anonymously
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game