give me a breakidiom
Definition of give me a break
1 —used to tell someone to stop bothering you or treating you unfairly "Aren't you finished yet?" "Give me a break! I only started 10 minutes ago!"
2 —used to say that you do not believe or are disgusted about what someone has said or done "He says he went to Harvard." "Give me a break! I doubt he even graduated from high school!"
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game