give me a breakidiom
Definition of give me a break
1 —used to tell someone to stop bothering you or treating you unfairly "Aren't you finished yet?" "Give me a break! I only started 10 minutes ago!"
2 —used to say that you do not believe or are disgusted about what someone has said or done "He says he went to Harvard." "Give me a break! I doubt he even graduated from high school!"
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game