give (something) up as a bad jobidiom
Definition of give (something) up as a bad job
: to stop trying to do something because it cannot be done I tried my best to persuade him, but in the end I gave it up as a bad job.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game