give (someone) a run for his/her/your/their moneyidiom
Definition of give (someone) a run for his/her/your/their money
: to make it difficult for (someone) to win a game or contest by trying hard and playing or performing well Though they lost, they gave last year's champions a run for their money.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game