give (something) up as a bad jobidiom
Definition of give (something) up as a bad job
: to stop trying to do something because it cannot be done I tried my best to persuade him, but in the end I gave it up as a bad job.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game