give (someone) a breakidiom
Definition of give (someone) a break
: to stop treating (someone) in a strict or harsh way Don't criticize him so much. He's doing the best he can. Why don't you give him a break?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game