Definition of gilding metal
1 : a brass rich in copper from which articles to be gilded were formerly made
2 : brass containing 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc or a similar alloy
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game