Definition of giant foxtail
: either of two coarse annual foxtails of the genus Setaria that are naturalized weeds in parts of the U.S.:
a : an Asiatic foxtail (S. faberii) widely established in the eastern U.S.
b : a West Indian foxtail (S. magna) established chiefly in the southeastern and southern U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game