variants: or less commonly ghost chili
plural ghost peppers also ghost chilis
Definition of ghost pepper
: a small, extremely hot chili pepper of southern Asia that is a hybrid between two species (Capsicum chinensis and Capsicum frutescens) … the aforementioned potstickers come with a lethal house-made sauce of habaneros and ghost peppers (I managed one tiny spoonful before my tongue went numb).— Phil Vettel Ghost pepper, a name for the bhut jolokia grown mainly in northeast India, is so powerful that the Indian military announced earlier this year that it was going to "weaponize" the peppers for hand grenades.— Florence Fabricant
— called also bhut jolokia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game