get/have/gain a/the jump onidiom
Definition of get/have/gain a/the jump on
: to get or have an early advantage over (someone) by acting quickly or doing something first The company came out with its software earlier than expected and got the jump on its competitors.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?