get under someone's skinidiom
Definition of get under someone's skin
1 : to irritate or upset someone His constant boasting was beginning to get under my skin.
2 : to affect someone positively even though he or she does not want or expect to be affected that way : grow to like something I used to hate the city, but after a while it kind of got under my skin. The actress accepted the role because the character really got under her skin.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?