get rid ofidiom
Definition of get rid of
: to do something so as to no longer have or be affected or bothered by (something or someone that is unwanted) It's time to get rid of this old sweater. I can't seem to get rid of this cold. He stayed on talking and talking. She finally got rid of him by saying she had to make dinner.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game