get it out of one's systemidiom
Definition of get it out of one's system
1 : to do something that one has been wanting to do so that one no longer feel a strong desire to do it You keep talking about making a cross-country trip. I think you just need to do it and get it out of your system.
2 : to get rid of a strong emotion (such as anger) by doing something He really angered her, so she went for a walk to get it out of her system.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?