get (someone) wrongidiom
Definition of get (someone) wrong
: to misunderstand what someone is saying Don't get me wrong—I like his parents. They're just a little too strict. I hope I didn't get him wrong. I thought he said I could tell you what happened.
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game