Definition of geometric isomerism
: stereoisomerism ascribed to different directional arrangements of specifically located groups in the molecule and usually considered to be caused by prevention of free rotation in parts of the molecule (as by a double bond or a ring) — compare optical isomerism
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game