ge·ma·tria | \ gəˈmā‧trēə, ˌgēmə‧ˈtrēə\
plural gematriot\ -ēˌōt \
Definition of gematria
1 : a cryptograph in the form of a word whose letters have the numerical values of a word taken as the hidden meaning
2 : the cabalistic method of explaining the Hebrew Scriptures by means of the cryptographic significance of the words
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game