gate·man | \ -ˌman\
Definition of gateman
1 : a man who tends a gate especially : one who checks and supervises the traffic that flows through a gate
2 : an attendant at a railroad grade crossing who bars traffic from the crossing when a train approaches
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game