Definition of gate valve
: a valve in a pipeline consisting essentially of a flat or wedge-shaped gate that can be lowered into a seat to seal off the line or raised into an external recess so that the full area of the line is open — compare globe valve
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?