Definition of gastroplasty
: a surgical procedure performed on the stomach to decrease its size or repair a defect The more commonly performed procedure is gastric reduction (gastroplasty) with or without an intestinal bypass. Gastroplasty with a bypass can initially result in substantial weight loss, and approximately 80 percent of patients remain at least 10 percent below their preoperative body weight for 10 years after surgery…— Michael Rosenbaum et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?