Definition of gas thermometer
: a thermometer containing gas (as hydrogen) as the enclosed thermometric substance, variations in temperature being indicated by the change in pressure of a fixed quantity of gas required to maintain the gas at a constant volume or the change in volume of a fixed quantity of gas maintained at a constant pressure
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game