plural garibaldi or garibaldis
Definition of garibaldi
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a woman's blouse copied from the red shirt worn by the Italian patriot Garibaldi
2 : a bright orange damselfish (Hypsypops rubicundus) of the Pacific coast from northern California to Baja California that may reach a length of about 14 inches (35.6 centimeters)
Note: Young garibaldi have iridescent blue spots that fade as they mature.
Definition of Garibaldi (Entry 2 of 2)
Giuseppe 1807–1882 Italian patriot
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game