Definition of garden balsam
: a plant (Impatiens balsamina) having a more or less pubescent stem, lanceolate sharply serrate leaves tapering to a short petiole, and flowers borne in the axils of the leaves and varying in color from white to purple and rose
— called also balsam, balsamine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?