variants: or less commonly garbet rod \ ˈgärbət- \
Definition of garbutt rod
: the rod attached to the cage of a standing valve of an oil-well pump in such a way that the standing valve is lifted out of the well when the plunger is withdrawn
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game