Definition of gar
(Entry 1 of 5)
—used as a mild oath in the phrase by gar
Definition of gar (Entry 2 of 5)
: any of various fishes that have an elongate body resembling that of a pike and long narrow jaws: such as
b : any of several predaceous North American freshwater bony fishes (family Lepisosteidae) with heavy ganoid scales
Definition of gar (Entry 3 of 5)
Definition of GAR (Entry 4 of 5)
Grand Army of the Republic
Definition of Gar (Entry 5 of 5)
town in western Tibet, China
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game