fu·ro·ic acid | \ (ˈ)fyu̇¦rōik-\
Definition of furoic acid
: either of two crystalline monocarboxylic acids C4H3OCOOH derived from furan especially : the alpha or 2-derivative obtained by oxidation of furfural and used chiefly as a preservative
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game