Definition of funicular polygon
1 : an open or closed figure that is not necessarily plane and that is formed by a rope or cord acted upon at a number of points by forces acting in various directions
2 : a figure representing lines of resultant stress in a rigid body acted upon at various points by forces that may or may not be concurrent and may or may not be coplanar
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game