variants: or fulvous whistling duck or less commonly fulvous tree duck
Definition of fulvous whistling-duck
: a chiefly yellowish to reddish brown widespread whistling-duck (Dendrocygna bicolor) typically of tropical and subtropical regions of the Americas, Asia, and Africa that is most active at night A fulvous whistling-duck—an incredibly rare species in Indiana—has been reported at Goose Pond … — Dawn Hewitt, Herald-Times (Bloomington, Indiana), 4 July 2010 And we spotted a couple alligators, a green-back heron, several flocks of lingering waterfowl including a flight of fulvous whistling ducks … — Corpus Christi (Texas) Caller Times, 3 May 2009
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game