ful·chronograph | \ (ˈ)fu̇l, ¦fəl+\
Definition of fulchronograph
: a lightning-recording device that consists of a revolving aluminum disk having on its rim several hundred steel fins which, as they pass successively every forty-millionth of a second between two coils carrying the surge current of a lightning stroke, become proportionately magnetized and register the duration and intensity of the strokes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?