Definition of fruit dove
: any of numerous small brighly colored fruit-eating pigeons that have bright red or yellow feet and legs, that are usually made a subfamily of Columbidae but sometimes a separate family, and that are found mainly in an area extending from India to Polynesia and south to Australia
— called also fruit pigeon
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game