Definition of fringed gentian
: any of several North American herbs of the genus Gentiana having the margin of the corolla lobes fringed: such as
a : a widely but irregularly distributed annual or biennial herb (G. crinita) of eastern and central North America that has violet-blue or white fringed flowers
b : a similar but somewhat smaller blue-flowered plant (G. procera) of central and western North America
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game