variants: or frill shark
Definition of frilled shark
: an eel-shaped shark (Chlamydoselachus anguineus) found in deep water off the coast of Japan and in parts of the Atlantic that has six pairs of gill slits with broad frilled margins and a terminal mouth
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game