frighten away/offphrasal verb
frightened away/off; frightening away/off; frightens away/off
Definition of frighten away/off
: to cause (someone or something) to go away or stay away because of fear The dog frightened the prowler away. Tourists have been frightened off by the violence in the city.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game