Definition of friar's-cowl
: any of several plants having a cowled flower or inflorescence: such as
a : a European arum (Arisarum vulgare) with a cowl-shaped spathe
b : cuckoopint
c : a common Old World monkshood (Aconitum napellus) having flowers with the helmet convex to hemispherical or arched
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game