Definition of free variation
: use or usability in the same environment by different speakers or in different utterances of linguistic items that are perceptually different but semantically the same and idiomatically normal (as using either an unreleased or a released \t\ in cat or using either \wit͟h\ or \with\ for with)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?