Definition of foxtail pine
: any of several American pines with a dense head of foliage: such as
a : a moderate to large pine (Pinus balfouriana) of upland western North America that is initially pyramidal but becomes irregular and open with age and that has stiff crowded persistent leaves, short-stalked dark brown pendulous cones, and bark initially milk white but becoming reddish brown and deeply fissured with age
b : bristlecone pine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?