Definition of foster-mother
(Entry 1 of 2)
British : a device intended to foster young animals: such as
a : a completely enclosed movable heated house and attached run for starting young chicks without a hen
b : a many-nippled nursing bottle for feeding litters of puppies or pigs
Definition of foster-mother (Entry 2 of 2)
: to serve as the mother of foster-mother three little children— Dorothy C. Fisher
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game