Definition of forced saving
1 : involuntary saving by an individual resulting from restrictions imposed upon expenditures, deferred income, insurance, or other circumstances
2 : involuntary transfer of purchasing power from consumers to investors by means of a money and credit expansion accompanied by a decrease in the value of money
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game