for one's sinsidiom
Definition of for one's sins
chiefly British, humorous
—used to say that someone is doing something unpleasant, difficult, etc., as a form of punishment For my sins, I was made chairman of the board.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game